Canada day is a day we celebrate our country but it also marks the real start to summer. Kids are off school, there is a long weekend and of course its time to fire up the grill. This year in honour of Canada day I decided to create a meal plan for brunch and dinner that is infused with maple syrup. So whether you are at the cottage or in the city, fire up that grill and get ready!
Who doesn't love a good brunch? It's a perfect time for a slow lazy morning, drinking coffee by the dock or in the backyard (or dare I say it, snoozing in bed time). However, we all need to eat. This is one of my favorite brunch recipes because you can change the fruit depending on whats at the farmers market! This time of year is perfect for strawberries!
Strawberry Skillet Pancake with Maple Syrup Whipped Cream
Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 40 minutes Serves 4-6
Ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt , 3/4 cup whole milk , 1 large egg, room temperature, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon for pan , 1 cup strawberries (halved), 1 cup whipping cream, 4 tbs maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in upper third. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet (or other nonstick ovenproof pan) in oven. Whisk together flour, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together milk, egg, and melted butter in another bowl. Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined.
2. Remove skillet from oven and add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, swirling to coat. Pour in batter and smooth top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle evenly with strawberries and remaining 1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
3. Meanwhile using a hand or stand mixer whip the cream and syrup together until peaks form.
4. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup whipped cream
Now what brunch is complete without a drink. Sometimes when my breakfast is carb heavy I like to add a smoothie for extra protein.
(Smoothies are great for the kids and adults however to spice it up make the adults casears using Walter's Caesar mix (no additives!)
Strawberry Kale Smoothie
Ingredients- 1.5 cup of strawberries, 3 leaves of kale discard stem, 1 scoop protein powder and 1 cup almond milk or alternative milk (less if you like it think) and place in blender
Everyone one loves a good burger or hotdog on the BBQ, but sometimes we have eaten too many over all the summer barbecues so I like to change it up when I can. This is a salmon recipe is simple and easy. I paired it with a grilled salad because feta on the BBQ is awesome!
Maple Soy Salmon
Ingredients: 2 pieces of salmon, 2 tbs of fresh orange juice, 2 tbs of soy sauce, 2 tbs of maple syrup
Mix the 3 ingredients together and pour over salmon. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to marinate. Preheat your broiler to medium or high, make sure your rack is not too close to the top or it will burn the salmon. Than place the salmon (with the marinade in a shallow dish lined with foil. Broil for 8 minutes (make sure to watch it). Alternatively to BBQ make sure to buy Salmon with skin on and grease the grill. Leave salmon on for 8-12 minutes
Grilled Greek Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 20 minutes Serves 2-4
Ingredients: For the dressing- ½ cup olive oil, juice of half a lemon, 1. 2 tsp of Dijon mustard, 5 tbs of red wine vinegar, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ tsp of salt, ½ tbs of fresh thyme of basil
For the salad- 4 cups of lettuce, 3 little cucumbers, 1 medium red pepper, 1 zucchini, a block of feta cheese
- Place the cucumber, red pepper, zucchini in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Then lightly drizzle the feta and with your hands rub it in.
- Place on the pre-heated grill (that has been oiled). Leave 3 minutes down before you rotate sides
- Once cooked place on a plate to let cool for 10 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Slice the vegetables and cube the feta cheese, place on bed of lettuce and drizzle with the dressing and serve.
What long weekend would be complete with out dessert. This one is simple and easy. It uses the ingredients from breakfast and all you have to do is turn the BBQ back on for a few moments.
Grilled Peaches with Maple Syrup Whipped Cream
Ingredients- Peaches, maple syrup and whipped cream from brunch (above)
Method- Wash and cut/pit peaches in half. Oil the halves and place on a pre-heated grill and leave for 5-8 minutes. Once off serve with whipped cream and drizzle with maple syrup.
Have an amazing long weekend!